Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Helping those less fortunate

Today, while on my way to look at furniture, I was stopped at the corner of 9th and North Grand (and yes, that will only make sense to someone local). While I had a green light and could have turned, there was a blind man with a cane on the corner. He was having a seriously hard time crossing the road - I'm fairly certain he wanted to go North, but ended up walking into the middle of the intersection, then finally ending up on the corner west of where he started. I sat there with my heart in my throat, scared that someone was going to hit him because this is a fairly busy intersection - but everyone stopped and waited for him.

I write this post, not because I'm proud of the people who stopped and waited, even though I am. I'm actually quite upset by the whole episode - here is someone who should probably have a service dog, but doesn't. Yet, almost every time I'm in Wal-Mart lately, I see seemingly perfectly healthy people with service dogs. They can see fine, they can walk fine...why do THEY get a service dog and this person does not?

It leaves me wondering what we can do to help people such as this man - does he even need help getting a service dog?

No comments:

Followers